This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Adding Modify,repair dialog

5 replies to this topic

osmosys

osmosys
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 06:22

Hallo,

Could anyone help me.I have an installshield (Basic MSI) project which installs an application. Now when i try to install the new setup with upgraded files the setup is not upgrading the existing setup. I think it would be ideal to show a Modify,repair dialog when the new setup is being installed if the application is already installed. If the application is not installed then install the new setup. I have tried to do an upgrade of the application using the same upgrade code etc but if it is upgrading it is displaying 2 installations in the control panel. else if i give the same product code and upgrade code for the two installations it displays a message saying it is upgrading the application but not upgrading.Here it shows only one installation. This option did not work.

Second option is add a modify repair dialog.

I have tried to add the SDMaintdialog through the script & added it to a custom action. This custom action but i do not know where to add this custom action in the sequence.I have added it after SetupInitialize & set it in such a way that if it is a first installation the license agreement dialog should be displayed. else the Modify,repair dialog should be displayed. I used the "Installed" variable. But this does not work.It is displaying the license agreement dialog only even when the apllication is already installed.

It would be great if someone helped me out.

Thanks in advance

Osmosys

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 20:18

You need to approach this by using the proper MSI update mechanisms. This means that you have to either use a minor or major upgrade (there are other upgrades available, but these are the main ones). In most cases I recommend a major upgrade. You need to read about major upgrades in the MSI SDK and implement as show in the sample there. Major upgrades involves keeping the same upgrade code, changing the product code and version numbers and adding some properties. In later versions of Installshield there is also an upgrade view that simplifies this process, see here: http://www.installsh...rticles/msi.asp

MSI SDK info: http://msdn.microsof...the_product.asp
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

osmosys

osmosys
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:32

Thanks for ur repsonse Mr Stein Asmul. I have worked on upgrading & used automatic upgrade to upgrade the setup. But now i have encountered another problem. This new upgrade setup is working only on my computer. On other computers it is showing an error message "Error reading setup initialization file". The size of the original setup is 5MB whereas the size of the upgrade setup is 244kb. Being a newbie i am not able to un derstand why the difference in size? and i am getting a doubt that the files are not being copied into the upgrade setup.Please help me.

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Ranjeetha

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 13:03

I wish I could help you more with this, but I am afraid this is impossible given that I can't look at the source. I would suggest that you create brand new releases in the release view of Installshield Developer and compile them again. There could be erronous settings in the current releases, and there is no way for me to tell.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

osmosys

osmosys
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:02

Hallo,

Thanks for the response Mr Stein Asmul. I have created new installations & my problem is solved. Could u give me some clarification about the MSI projects.When I give a single exe to the user it is giving an error saying that "error reading setup initialization file".
The setup is working only if i give the whole set of files & the folder containing it. Can I make the whole thing into one single exe.

Thanks in advance,

Osmosys

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 11:51

Hi, yes you should be able to deliver a single file, I think this would be called something like a "web release" or similar. The setup.ini is there for multi language support etc for CDROM image style media.

I think the easiest would be to run the release wizard, select web release and then choose options such as include MSI engine or Installscript engine in setup. Recommended settings are to not include the MSI engine but ALWAYS include the Installscript engine if you need it.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul