This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

how to create a custom diaolog in basic msi installshield installer

Best Answer sanjeevbishnoi , 14 November 2013 - 12:53

Thanx for the reply.I have done the same thing.Now custom Dialog is displayed but it also shows an  error 2856 creating a second copy of the dialog error

Go to the full post

8 replies to this topic

sanjeevbishnoi

sanjeevbishnoi
  • Full Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 14:58

Hi,

I want to create a customdialog with two text boxes same like a login screen.

UserName:

Password:

user  will enter data.

But dialog is not shown in sequence

i have done following steps:

1.Go to Dialog and create a custom dialog.

2.And also provide uniquse resourceid to dialog in dialog editor(13004).

Default licence dialog is shown when i call my dialog from custom action sequence.

Please suggest me any solution

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:22

In addition to creating the dialog, you also have to add it to a sequence. The easiest way would have been to use the New Dialog Wizard, select "Interior Wizard Panel" and step through the wizard to insert the dialog in a sequence. Unfortunately you can't do this easily after you've created the dialog. So after you decided between which existing dialogs you wnat to insert your dialog:

go to the existing dialog that should be shown before your custom dialog, select behaviour, select the Next button, note the NewDialog events and conditions. Change the NewDialog event to make it point to your custom dialog. Go to the Next button of your custom dialog and add a NewDialog event with the data you noted.

Now go to the dialog which should be shown after your custom dialog. Under Behaviour, select the Back button, note the NewDialog event, make it point to your custom dialog. Go to your custom dialoge and add the NewDialog event you noted to its Back button.

sanjeevbishnoi

sanjeevbishnoi
  • Full Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:53   Best Answer

Thanx for the reply.I have done the same thing.Now custom Dialog is displayed but it also shows an  error 2856 creating a second copy of the dialog error

Edited by sanjeevbishnoi, 14 November 2013 - 14:37.

sanjeevbishnoi

sanjeevbishnoi
  • Full Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:00

now this is working fine thanx for help.i want to run a exe for connection purpose and in that exe i want to pass entered username and password.

but i dont know how to run that exe and pass these value on click of next button.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:32

Create a custom action, type "run exe", to launcj your exe. Use the properties from the dialog in the command line (in square brackets). Add a DoAction event to the Next button to call that custom action.

sanjeevbishnoi

sanjeevbishnoi
  • Full Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:34

thanx for reply.but how specified path of that exe for running.Like in installscript project we specify path like SRCDIR ^ "run.exe".Can you please provide some more details with example.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:45

If the exe you want to run is not installed but exists in your source directory, Try custom action type exe with "path in property value". First use a "Set a property" custom action to set a property like RUNEXE to [SourceDir]run.exe or [SETUPEXEDIR]run.exe (depending on where your run.exe is located). Then use RUNEXE as the first parameter for your exe custom action.

sanjeevbishnoi

sanjeevbishnoi
  • Full Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:19

Thanx for quick reply.But how can i include in my setup.Like we delivered only in a single msi form .Means like stup.msi file no other folder.

Can we place that particular folder also (that stored exe) with that msi.Actually my main doubt where should i kept that exe in my msi.

Because on user machine that path is not available.

So i want to include that exe in my msi itself and run from that particular location.

Edited by sanjeevbishnoi, 15 November 2013 - 14:20.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 19:17

In this case it's even simpler: Use a custom action type EXE - stored in Binary table. The Binary table is where MSI carries temporary files.