This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

2003 server woes

2 replies to this topic

RookieDeveloper

RookieDeveloper
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 21:10

This doesn't work. Since this issue has been reassigned I will go over the issue again.

We are installing our application on Windows 2000 and 2003. There are several directories we are installing, but the focus is directoryX.

When directoryX is installed on 2000 the ASPNET user needs full control to directoryX. However, due to the new security controls in 2003 server, we need to grant the NETWORK SERVICE user full control to this directoryX only on 2003 server installs.

So one thing I've attempted to do is create two components with the exact same files installing to the exact same directoryX. However, there is a conditional statement on both that will only allow an installation of the particular component depending on the O.S. The problem occurs when I add the identical component-InstallShield thinks it is the same component.
I have even tried changing the directory identifier. For example, it was initially {DIRECTORYX}, but when I added the identical component I changed the directory identifier to {DIRECTORYX2} This still did not work. The system still thinks they are the same, thus not letting me differentiate between the two. Even when I try to add the permissions manually in to the 'Lock Permission' table, I only see one directory identifier {DIRECTORYX2}.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 07:51

I wouldn't try to make this work. Two components are by definition meant to not point to the same key path.

I would use a custom action to set the access rights of this folder, and then condition it to run appropriately for the OS installed to.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 20:15

The LockPermissions table doesn't have a condition column. Also it doesn't reference components, but directory table entries.