This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Custom Action

5 replies to this topic

sni63

sni63
  • Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:22

Hello everybody
I'm involving with this problem for about a month and it's take my time very bad.
I had to read and apply all help document embeded with InstallShield 2009 oround this subject but all my attemp not desired results(an error return or Finish dialog appears).
Therefore I'm now completely hopeness. Please tell me how can I create a Custom Action for launching another .msi package and setting it's sequence exactly (step-by-step) and other option if it has.

Please help!

Regards.

nc4ted

nc4ted
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 17:32

I don't know about sequencing the 2nd MSI package on the fly, but this would be my suggestion:

1) Author the 2nd MSI package separately, sequenced the way you want

2) Use the LaunchAppAndWait function that calls the 2nd MSI in an InstallScript CA inside the 1st MSI.

For example,

export prototype CallSecondInstaller(HWND);
function CallSecondInstaller(hMSI)
begin
LaunchAppAndWait("2ndInstall.msi", "", WAIT );
end;

vijayakumar

vijayakumar
  • Full Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 04:30

Hi,

R u using Installscript or Basic MSI?

What does the msi package that u want to launch thru Ca do?

-Vijay

sni63

sni63
  • Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 06:06

Thanks my freind for your help
I'm using Basic MSI and don'n know anything about InstallScript.
I think my problem is refered to my little experience on Sequencing the actions.
Suppose my msi package should install a driver maybe for a cardreader or camera, however my msi package would work perfectly by itself.
Thanks again.

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:55

Go to http://msdn.microsoft.com/library and search for "nested installations" - it tells you how to do that. Make sure you read the part about recommendations: indeed this practice is strongly discouraged.

Consider making the child install a prerequisite.

vijayakumar

vijayakumar
  • Full Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:44

Hi,

Did you try placing your custom action to install drivers in UI sequence? If so, what is the result.

That should work.

Pls reply back if you still face problems on this.

-Vijay