This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installing (*.sys) files in System32 folder(Vista)

4 replies to this topic

rajkulkarni

rajkulkarni
  • Full Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 18:59

I have a installation which was developed in Installshield 6.12. For some reason, *.sys files which should be copied to the System32 folder don't get transferred in Vista. It works fine in older OS's. Any suggestions.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 14:18

How are these SYS files being deployed? Are they copied via InstallScript code, are they in a file group which says don't overwrite newer date/version, or what?
user posted image

rajkulkarni

rajkulkarni
  • Full Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 16:45

These are Active X Controls (ocx) which go in System32, or *.sys files which I am trying to place in the "WINSYSDIR/drivers" subfolder. These files are in a file group, with the "ALWAYS OVERWRITE" option set. These files are not overwriting any existing files in the WINSYSDIR or the WINSYSDIR/drivers folder. They just won't go into that folder.

The installation works fine in Win2k and WinXp, but not in Vista.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 00:19

Okay, well in that case, I would try deploying them via InstallScript code and see what error codes you get back.

As a comparison, I would also try copying them manually via Windows Explorer and see how you make out there.

Finally, depending on those previous results, I would probably recommend you update to IS v6.34 as at least that verison officially supports Windows XP as well as includes other fixes/improvements which may help you on Vista.
user posted image

rajkulkarni

rajkulkarni
  • Full Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 14:38

BTW, copying the files using Windows Explorer works just fine. I will probably just upgrade to Installshield 12 Professional.