This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Suppress Upgrade Dialog

1 reply to this topic

ladyviet

ladyviet
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 13:50

Is there a way to suppress the upgrade dialog ("This system will perform an upgrade of '[product]'. Do you want to continue")? I'm in the testing phase of the installation and whenever I make a minor change in the script or the files I include, it prompts me to upgrade the existing product when I try to install over the current install. I would like for that not to happen so that we can assure that the customer will never see it in case we make changes down the road. Thanks!

PS - I'm using InstallShield 2008

Edit: When I do install the "upgrade", the next time I run setup.exe, it prompts me to uninstall. I would like for the install to act like a first-time installation each time setup.exe every time without using the event functions, if possible. I've already disabled uninstall.

Edited by ladyviet, 24 October 2011 - 14:07.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 14:30

You can change the update prompt behaviour in the update view.

Running as a first time install would require some tweaking of MSI events like removing the RegisterProduct action etc. This will also prevent the application from being uninstalled. This is not recommended (and I'm not sure it would work with a "InstallScript MSI" project).
Maybe Windows Installer (MSI) is not the best technology for what you want to do. Pure InstallScript (without MSI) has some more flexibility, but maybe a self extracting ZIP would be even better.