This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Distribute SQl server client tools

4 replies to this topic

Arve

Arve
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 16:48

Our application is distributed along with the MSDE SP3 redistributable from Microsoft (as using the MSDE merge module is not recommended).

In addition we would like to distribute the Client Tools, normally shipped with the full version of SQL Server. These tools are often very handy, especially the Enterprise Manager, e.g. when it comes to dropping the database during upgrades, making/restoring backups, looking in the database tables etc, and many customers do not need, nor want to buy the full version of SQL Server.

I have tried using the MSDE 2000 SQL Enterprise Manager merge module included with my InstallShield Devstudio 9, but I cannot make it work. Perhaps it requires the full MSDE merge module package?

Any suggestions?

cheers,
Arve
blink.gif

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 17:34

The MSDE merge modules usually don't work separately. You should inlcude all or none.

Arve

Arve
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 06:44

As using all the merge modules is not recommended, does that mean that there is no workaround?

cheers,
Arve

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 13:16

Yes.
However it is my understanding that the content of the MSDE stand alone install package is the same as in the merge modules. Enterprise manager is probably not included in either, and I don't think you are allowed to redistribute it. (Check your license agreement)

slowhand

slowhand
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 15:22

I agree to Stefan that you are not allowed to use SQL Enterprise Manager without having a SQL Server License.
You can try a freeware tool named SQLBUDDY, which is similar to MS Query Analyzer and provides a practicable GUI to administrate the database.
You could include a Custom Action in your Installation which executes the MSI of this tool.
You can download it there:
SQLBuddy

Edited by slowhand, 31 May 2005 - 15:24.