This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Non-admin installs

4 replies to this topic

Al Robinson

Al Robinson
  • Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 18:29

Hi

I've created an InstallScript/MSI installer that will install as a non-admin user. I use Windows Installer properties to populate some registry keys, and the target directory of a shared component (set using the MsiSetProperty function). On a non-admin installation these properties are not being populated, the function is returning a success, and the log is verifying this, but the property values appear to be being deleted at somepoint between when they are set, and when they are used.
If the installation is run as an administrative user the properties are set correctly.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,
Al.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 18:37

Not sure what is wrong, but the first thing I would try would be to add the property values to the SecureCustomProperties property as follows:

PROPERTY1;PROPERTY2;PROPERTY3

This SecureCustomProperties property specifies properties that will be passed from the client to the server process in loced down environments.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Al Robinson

Al Robinson
  • Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 17:27

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I've tried that one with no success.
For anyone that interested I've found the solution, for our product anyway, I set a property called EnableUserControl to 1 in the property table as per:
http://msdn.microsof...usercontrol.asp

The properties were then set correctly.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 08:40

Thanks for the info. That property essentially has the same effect as adding all properties to the SecureCustomProperty list of properties to pass to the server process.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Al Robinson

Al Robinson
  • Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 10:52

Yeah, that's what I was led to believe by msdn, however for some reason adding the properties that were causing the problem to the SecureCustomProperty property had no effect, and the properties in question were not set correctly by the installer. I'm not sure why this was, as you say, this should have worked.