This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Register .HLP Files?

3 replies to this topic

jennetta

jennetta
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 September 2001 - 18:53

Can anyone tell me if the .HLP file for my application needs to be registered with Windows' registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Help?  
I'm finding that if there's no entry for the .hlp in that key, then the app can't find the .hlp, despite the fact that it's in the same directory as the executable.  Once the registry entry's there, the app has no problem opening up help but until it's there,  the app can't find help and the help engine offers to allow the user to browse to find it.  Anybody have any more information?

MKaiser

MKaiser
  • Full Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 September 2001 - 18:31

Does your executable and your help file have the same name ? e.g. foo.exe and foo.hlp ? Otherwise the default mechanism of the MFC is not able to find your help file if it's not stated in the registry.

jennetta

jennetta
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 September 2001 - 23:14

Yes, the EXE and the HLP have the same name aside from the extension.  The code is calling WinHelp.  The help file path is initialized to the same directory in the code.  
Should the install write "register" the hlp file?

Perotin

Perotin
  • Full Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 28 September 2001 - 08:10

We have this problem too, the help file is not found, because the CURRENT DIRECTORY is changed from the programs directory to something different. So the help file is not always found.
I found out, that registering the help file solves the problem ... so why not putting it in the registry?