This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

problem with upgrade

5 replies to this topic

Twor

Twor
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 13:48

Hello All !
I've got a serious problem with an upgrade, and it came only due to my lack of knowledge and now I don't know how to fix it.

Sometimes after uninstalling my product I had some files in main direcotry, something like TRASH. So I decided to write a custom action to remove all files. And I gave it at the end of execute sequence with condition REMOVE = "ALL".
Everythings worked fine.... until now, when I'm working with newer version of my product. During the upgrade wihle "RemoveExistingProducts" nested msi runs properly and of course it deletes my files , which I've just upgraded sad.gif.
How couldn't I think about it before ? sad.gif
Is it any solution to upgrade this product in such clever way, that nested application won't run this my bloody DeleteTrashFiles custom action ?
I know that, I can switch off RemoveExistingProducts from "new" installation, but probably it isn't good solution. In such circumstances product is installed OK, but I;ve got 2 versions installed (2 programs in Add/Remove in Control Panel).
Any idea how to work around my big mistake I made in earlier version ?
I would be very happy for any suggestion.
best regards
Piotr
Piotr Tworowski

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 14:38

Just off the top of my head: would it help to move the removeexistingproduct action before the actual installation of your new product? This way the old setup should be completely removed before the new product is installed.

In general if there are actions that you don't want to run during a major upgrade initiated uninstall you can use the condition Not UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 17:16

It sounds like you are building Windows Installer (MSI) setups, so you are certainly not using InstallShield Professional 7. So what InstallShield product and version are you really using? (so I can move this thread to the proper forum)

Twor

Twor
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 12:23

Sorry, of course I'm using Installshield Developer 7.04

Fortunately I've found solution to my problem.

I counldn't move removeexistingproduct before actual installation because many other errors occured (but Thank You Glytzhkof for this suggestion).
I created two custom actions: one of them coppies proper files to TempFolder (it is sequenced just before removeexistingproducts) and another one (after RemoveExistingProducts) which moves files from temp to TARGETDIR. It isn't very nice probably, but works fine smile.gif.

best regards
Piotr
Piotr Tworowski

mfreidge

mfreidge
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:27

QUOTE (Glytzhkof @ 2004-05-21 14:38)

In general if there are actions that you don't want to run during a major upgrade initiated uninstall you can use the condition Not UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE.

Is it correct that during a version upgrade(when UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE=true) a condition (REMOVE=ALL) is also true?

prabhat.singh

prabhat.singh
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:42

QUOTE (mfreidge @ 2006-08-14 06:27)
QUOTE (Glytzhkof @ 2004-05-21 14:38)

Is it correct that during a version upgrade(when UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE=true) a condition (REMOVE=ALL) is also true?

Hello

I Create a Setup.exe by Standard Application using IS 7 .
But Sir I am not able to upgrade my dll version , which is Install by my Setup.exe ,

And When i Change Product code , Package code and Install using , at that time
dll version is update in my Programe file folder.

But When I see my add remove programe item , there 2 setup item Presant . it,s means new one is not able to removePrevious one .

pls Help me.

thank's in advance.