This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

file vanishment under system - Express 5

3 replies to this topic

Kenerry

Kenerry
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 09:09

Hi.

I made an installation with Express 5. Target system is win2k. Among the files I had put an EXE and some relevant DLLs into the system32 folder. The EXE had "Extract COM information" attribute. During installation the EXE ran itself (showed user interface) to be registered. Then the setup finished and the files were there.

But when I rebooted the system and found the files (the EXE and its DLLs) disappeared - couldn't be searched anywhere! - which led to the failure of the whole application. More strangely was that when I uninstall it from "add/remove applications" panel, the vanished EXE came back and ran itself again, and all other lost DLLs were found!

What caused this strange sympton? Is it concerned with "system file protection"? But I found no such ability in Express version. Any help is appreciated.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 10:26

(moving this question to the Express 5 forum)

Hard to tell what's going on. Whern using COM extraction at build the file should not be run at instalation. To find out why the files disappear generate enable installer logging in registry to see what's happening (during install and during the reboot). Is this a fresh install or an upgrade?

Kenerry

Kenerry
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:08

Hi Stefan.

This is a fresh install. But I'm not aware of "generate enable installer logging in registry". Does it mean monitoring the registry with something like regmont (from SysInternals, which will produce large amount of records of registry modification, hard to trace) or a build-in feature of Express 5? Thanks in advance.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 12:36

No, I mean you should set the appropriate registry entries that will generate log files of all MSI activity (even after a reboot). See http://www.msifaq.com/a/1022.htm