This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Companion files

3 replies to this topic

thomaz

thomaz
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 16:49

Have you heard of any issues with companion files. InstallShield 7 does not seem to honour companion files. It just doesn't keep it even if I manually add it into the file table in the direct editor. Any idea?

Thomaz ???
Regards,Thomaz

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 07:34

Thomaz, I had exactly the same problem with my setup. I was adding in all of these companion files into the direct editor and they just kept getting removed.

My solution was to add then in by right clicking on the files, un-checking the use system properties box, and then pasting in the correct companion file name into the file verison space.

You must make sure that the companion file you add in here is the full file name, with the guid appended if this what your file table has in it.

Just another hint aswell, I had a lot of trouble using a key file and giving it a companion file.
I have also create a 'dud' exe file that just displays a text message so I can always use this as the companio file in my project without the worry of it being removed by another developer.

good luck  :)

thomaz

thomaz
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 19:31

Thanks Luke for the tip. Actually I went an extra mile and modified the built MSM and MSI files through my build script. I wasn't really happy with my own approach. But something that I knew will work. Your tip is working fine, but my worry is that these InstallShield guys might actually fix this bug(or change this behavior) in the next release and we will be caught off guard.

Have you ever tried to use the InstallShield COM objects from VC++. God it is a hell. They keep changing things with every service release. You would have to rebuild with the new libraries every time. Otherwise it will just fail. No backward compatibilty.
Regards,Thomaz

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 07:06

No thankfully i dont have to install any com objects. All of my problems are focues around merge modules downgrading and upgrading, and keeping the lastest version of files etc.

Our application uses a lot of java applications so I need to keep all of the latest .jar files, which I must use companion files for ( a real pain in the neck!;)

I did try to use companion files for just the key file but I had even more problems! so my only approach is to use a companion file for EVERY file that I need to keep up to the lates version  :angry: