This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Active Directory reporting

2 replies to this topic

ojay

ojay
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 18:32

Does anyone know of any way that successfull software installation through a GPO can be reported, rather than having to look through individual client's event logs to see if the software has actually installed?

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 22:18

Maybe create a log file and then use a tool to determine what the setup's exit code was?
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 11:05

I assume that Active Directory has some auditing means to report the results.

If you can't find anything, try this (not recommended though):
- Create a CA that reports installation and include it in the AdvtExecuteSequence table. Note: this install is executed by the domain controller, not the target system, so be very careful.
- Or, create a CA that reports installation and include it in the InstallExecute table. Note: this CA is run when the user invokes the software for the first time, which may never occur.
In both cases, you'll need to do some extra checks to determine whether the installation was forced by a GPO.

In case you're just testing your project, and wonder what's going on: I always include another policy in the Software Installation GPO (Hide "Documents" in start menu is my favorite). In case of problems, check whether the other policy is applied, to determine whether the GPO or the MSI was the problem.