This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Upgrade Issue

1 reply to this topic

LanceSc

LanceSc
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 17:50

I have ran into a interesting upgrade problem and I am not sure how to handle it. In the past we only allowed one version of our product to be installed on a computer. If you installed version 9 a major upgrade was performed on version 8.

We now need to modify this behavior. A few customers want the ability to have version 8 and version 9 running concurrently. Installing the two versions side by side shouldn't be a problem because all components of the install go into version specific destinations. The problem I am having is that the majority of our customers will still want version 8 to be upgrade to version 9 as part of the install. I need to be able to conditionally prevent a major upgrade from happening.

Currently both versions share the same upgrade code and I know that this will need to change. After that I don't really have any great ideas on what to do. One thing I have thought about is modifying the upgrade table at run time to not include the version 9 records. I have also thought about creating a custom action that is executed after FindRelatedProducts and the CA would then change the SecureCustomProperties to not include information about the install.

Does anyone have ideas or experience doing this?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 16:26

You could leave everything as is, and put a condition on the RemoveExistingProducts action.