This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

About MSI file size

1 reply to this topic

idiotwei

idiotwei
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:35

I get the new install database just by modifying the MSI file of the previous project, generating new product ID, filling the file table with the new file list, removing the old cab through the "cscript WiStream.vbs /d ***.cab" command and writing the new cab into the database file. The size of the previous cab files is about 12M and the new one is 2M.
The question is the size of the new database file doesn't decrease. Is there any step to remove the unnecessary data from the previous database?

MSI tool : ORCA

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:08

I think I'm right in saying that MSIs use the OLE structured storage format (like Outlook PSTs and so on). My understanding is that, once space is allocated for a stream, it remains allocated. There is *probably* an API to rebuild the structure but that will obviously involve some programming. If it was me and I felt it important enough (i.e. almost never), I'd be pasting the relevant tables to a *new* MSI, then adding the CAB.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.