This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

GetProfStringList failure on Win98

4 replies to this topic

valaki

valaki
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 16:01

Hello,

I encounter a strange problem with GetProfStringList (which is supposed to read an ini file). I'm compiling it on XP; it works on XP and on Win 2k, but it fails on Win 98.

My ini file looks like this:
[LanguageCode]
0001=ARABIAN
0002=BULGARIAN
0003=CATALAN
... ans so on ...

The script:

LongPathToQuote(langcodefile, FALSE);
LogFileWriteStr("LangCodeFile " + langcodefile);
LogFileWriteStr("Section " + section);
nResult = GetProfStringList (langcodefile, section, ListLangCodes, ListLangNames);
NumToStr(svResult, ListCount(ListLangCodes));
LogFileWriteStr("Languages in ini file: " + svResult);
NumToStr(svResult, nResult);
LogFileWriteStr("GetProfStringList return value: " + svResult);

On XP my log is ok:

LangCodeFile H:\Matis\Disk Images\newer2\Language.Code
Section LanguageCode
Languages in ini file: 34

On Win 98, it fails to read the same file from exactly the same package:

LangCodeFile H:\MATIS\DISK IMAGES\NEWER2\Language.Code
Section LanguageCode
Languages in ini file: 0
GetProfStringList return value: -1

Does anybody have a clue why is this happening?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Perotin

Perotin
  • Full Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 16:17

I have no documentation for IS7, but with IS5, there is a notice to the GetProfString documentation, that this function uses Windows API functions and results may vary with the OS the setup is run on ...

Is there such info in your help files?

Besides, the knowledge base says, there is a problem with GetProfStringList in Developer 7 with non-unique keys in the section:
http://support.insta...ticleid=Q105727
Gruß / regards
Thomas

valaki

valaki
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 08:24

Hello,

Thanks for your tips!

Unfortunately I found the same - very unprofessional - notice in my help files smile.gif

'GetProfString uses the functions provided by your operating environment's API to access the .ini file. Therefore, InstallShield's functionality may be limited by the operating environment. '

My ini file basicaly contains one single section, with well-determined language codes in it... no duplications...

The strange thing is, that my collegue has successfully compiled the same code on Win XP, and he can run it on Win98 successfully. The same version of install shiled is installed for both of us, with the language packs and the patches.

I guess the misterious 'API' would answer these questions...

V

Perotin

Perotin
  • Full Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 08:50

Does your collegue run the setup successfully on the same Win98 version? You know there are the original and the second edition ...

Good luck!
Gruß / regards
Thomas

valaki

valaki
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 14:57

My collegue installs successfully on the same computer. We compile with the same IS software, so I have no clue why these 2 executables are not the same...

V