This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Removing Windows Installer based apps

3 replies to this topic

reflex

reflex
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 14:08

Hey,

Ive got a bit of a tricky problem, I need to remove a Windows Installer installed application but without using the Windows Installer itself. I have had a look at MSIZap.exe and miscuu.exe but I would like to write my own utility that will remove an application.

Has anyone attempted this before? Would you be able to give me a listing of all the reg entries pertaining to a windows installer based install?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pete.

dbareis

dbareis
  • Full Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 23:33

Ive got a bit of a tricky problem, I need to remove a Windows Installer installed application but without using the Windows Installer itself.

Your've mentioned the solution, what is the problem?

Sounds like what you want to do is some last ditch desperate act after all else has failed?

I assume you are having frequent problems making it impossible to uninstall these, fixing this might be a better idea....

My 2 cents woth,
Dennis

---
Dennis Bareis (dbareis@No.Spam.gmail.com)
Free MSI update/creation tool (MAKEMSI):
http://users.cyberon...eis/makemsi.htm

reflex

reflex
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 09:47

The problem is occurring when we try and upgrade from previous versions of our software, the upgrade doesnt remove the app correctly or the upgrade just plain fails.
What I would like to do is run an exe or another type of utility that would force the removal of the previous version (without using the Windows Installer service).

I hope this makes the situation a little more clearer.

Regards

Pete.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 09:50

Using Windows Installer to uninstall the existing version is the recommended method. Why do you need to avoid this?