This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Multi language install

2 replies to this topic

Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 26 June 2002 - 03:47

Hello all,

Im tasked with adding 2 Chinese languages to my installer.

I have added them through the language pack and then the options/language window.

My questions for you are:

How much of the installer does Installshield actually convert for you?

What pieces do you have to convert manually?

If you have strings in your installscript, do you have to manually have that translated?
If i have it manually translated, what do i put in my installscript, so that when say (Chinese) is picked from teh drop down menu, all the strings in my installscript will show the chinese ones?

Do i need to add any redist files for installshield.

Sorry im a virgin on Multilanguage installs ???

Basically anyone who can help me on any aspect of this will be most rewarded with many thanks.

Im doing like 6 things at once right now and any tips you may have experienced or links to sites that may help me do this faster will be appreciated.

Blake Miller Wonder

Blake Miller Wonder
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 June 2002 - 15:43

Strings should NOT be in the script, they should already be in the Value.Shl files.  Then you provide the Value.Shl file to the translator.  You may need to provide the translator with a table of string dientifiers that should not be translated, like certain subdirectory names, registry key names, etc.

Be careful of how start menu shortcuts are created, in some cases they will not be localized.

There are language specific directories where your setup.bmp files and others like that used by setup can be placed so the correct language files are displayed.

When creating file groups, you can group files by language so that you can then filter the setup on the selected language and install language specific files of your project.

There is a subdirectory called SetupDir that becomes part of the setup image.  It contains subdirectories containing a dll for each language so that the initial setup decompression screen is also localized.

Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 June 2002 - 17:13

well i have some strings in teh install script. like one that just after they click on setup.exe, it makes sure they have a sound card, if they dont it displays a messagebox with a string in it.

Are you saying instead of having the 4 sentance string in the installscript, i should make a string variable like soundcard_error and then put that value in the string table?