This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Embedded Transform via Command Line on German Operating System...

3 replies to this topic

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 22:59

Hi all,

I have an .msi that contains several embedded, supported language transforms.  I test on an English OS using the following command line...

msiexec /i c:\My\Path\Test.msi TRANSFORMS=:1031

On the English OS I do see the install dialogs in German.  I can summon the other language displays in a similar manner by substituting the locale id (1040, 1034, etc).

Now if I try to use the same mechanism on a German OS, it fails with the following message...

"Error in the application of transforms. Make sure that the specificed transformation paths are valid." -- (translated from German).

If I simply execute the .msi without passing the transform, on the German OS, the correct dialog language is displayed, in this case German. 

Even if I try to launch the .msi on the German OS, passing 1031 as the embedded transform, it still fails.  Why can I not call the embedded transform from the command line on the German OS?

We do have some installation packages that are wrapped in a setup.exe with a language selection dialog, but this problem deals with .msi packages that must be delivered that way.

We have an update mechanism that has a language setting.  I'm thinking this will be broken or won't work as well because that is also called using TRANSFORMS=:####.  We may need to show installations in different languages on any OS.  For example we have some users that run English OSs, but the installations run in French using the transform parameter.  Why the difference with testing this stuff on English vs German OS.  Again, passing the transform argument works on English OS, but not German.

I believe this is also a problem on an Italian OS as well.

Any help appreciated!

Edited by Superfreak3, 29 November 2016 - 23:00.

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 16:15

Attached is the log of the command line attempt to apply the German transform (or any other of our supported languages).  Again this works fine on an English OS and so far not on German or Italian (may be all non-English OSs).

Also again, if I simply double click to launch the .msi on a German OS, the dialogs display accordingly.  So, that tells me the transform is embedded and working correctly.  I just can't change languages on the command line.

I wonder if this is by design or a bug. ??

Attached Files

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 16:28

I think I may have found the answer...

http://windows-insta...-td3261535.html

The only problem is that in the Template Summary property, setting the Language to 0 (language neutral), I thought I ran into problems of some sort having 0 in there.

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 17:08

So I dug around and found my issues with having 0 mentioned as part of the Template summary property...

http://forum.install...showtopic=20984

https://community.fl...ade-Not-Working

I think what I have to try is my current blank upgrade table setting with 0 in the template summary property.  Hopefully major upgrades will work and I will be able to call specific foreign language transforms.