This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Prevent a file from being deleted during uninstall

3 replies to this topic

Hemamalini

Hemamalini
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 13:14

Hi,
  I'm using ISWI2.0(Basic MSI).While uninstalling I do not want to delete some files which i have copied through the components during installation.How can I do this...
Please help.It's very urgent.
Thanks in advance.

CedricD

CedricD
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 14:12

Hi,
Put the property 'Permanent' to Yes in the component where the files you don't want to uninstall are.
The files will not be removed. :)

Hemamalini

Hemamalini
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 June 2002 - 08:10

Hi,
 Thanks for the reply.If  I Install a product with setting the property to permanent to Yes.The files are not removed while uninstalling.
 Again I builded a setup.exe with different version Files.If I Install the product in the same location,Will it overwrite the files which was previously installed.

CedricD

CedricD
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 June 2002 - 10:59

Hi,
if your new files have a more recent date or version, your files will be overwritten. if you don't want your old files to be overwritten, i suggest you to put install conditions to install or not the features where your components and files are.

For exemple : Put the InstallLevel to 110 (grater than 100 then never Install) on the feature where your features and files are.
Create a custom action with Installscript which will see if your files are present.If the files are present, put a custom property to true.
Then, in your Custom Dialogs, call your custom action to know if your files are here. If there are nor here, change the the Install Level lower to 100 to install it.
In your Custom Dialog, it will looks like this :
DoAction    MyCustomAction       1
AddLocal     TheFeateure         MyProperty = "1"

if you have other questions.....  :D