This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

assembly removed from gac on upgrade

6 replies to this topic

e.macgregor

e.macgregor
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 20:35

apologies if this has been covered...

we have a number of assemblies that we put in the GAC on install. most of these assembly's version numbers are incremented every release - except for one, which has not changed in quite some time. call it "testassembly"

recently i noticed that testassembly is removed when a user upgrades. in the log file it appears to skip the installation of this assembly because it is already installed and then mark it for removal. this forces the repair behaviour of msiexec when the assembly is next required. it's only a minor nuisance and most users would never notice - but seems unnecessary.

can anyone recommend a solution?

thanks,
e

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:51

You could mark the component to remain for an uninstall...

Edited by VBScab, 12 December 2008 - 09:40.

- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

e.macgregor

e.macgregor
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 01:20

hi - thanks for the reply. would definitely work - but we're trying to be responsible about the unistall process and not leave stuff lying around. any other ideas?

thanks,
e

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:26

Does this KB article apply to your problem?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905238

e.macgregor

e.macgregor
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 19:29

yes - that is pretty much it. unfortunately neither of the workarounds will work for us because it is an auto-generated interop assembly and (ack) editing the msi everytime we do a build would be like actually remembering a phone number smile.gif

so - off to the long-way-around - removing the need for the assembly altogether. thanks for the pointer.

e

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:52

QUOTE (e.macgregor @ 2008-12-12 18:29)
editing the msi everytime we do a build would be like actually remembering a phone number smile.gif

It sounds like you should be exploring the use of Wix. I never got beyond the "Hmmm...interesting" stage with Wix but I know one of the chaps on the Altiris forum uses it almost exclusively to drive automated MSI builds.

Having said that, Windows Installer has an Automation interface so there's no reason why you couldn't build a set of 'scripts' to update your MSIs using that.

Although I'm a long way from being a .Net expert (something else on my "To do" list since 199[something...]!), I suspect either route would represent a smaller body of work than re-designing your app to obviate the need for the assembly!
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

e.macgregor

e.macgregor
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 22:36

Thanks for the pointer to wix - we'll definitely keep it for consideration.
I suspect either route would represent a smaller body of work than re-designing your app to obviate the need for the assembly!

Under most circumstances I would agree, but in this case I have some good guidance and really all it means is some custom marshalling (i.e., not accepting the output of tlblmp) and including it in a project that already has the appropriate references.