This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Disable Self-repair for a application??

8 replies to this topic

turnbulg

turnbulg
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 March 2002 - 04:57

Can this be done. I have a app that works fine but skeeps installing when some functions are chosen. Those functions also work fine.

Thanks
Greg Turnbull

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 13 March 2002 - 23:57

Your setup is not installing correctly.  It is quite possible to have an improper installation that appears to work.  Find out what is wrong. Cure the illness not the symptom.

Take at a look at a log file to see what is happening.  (Do this with a registry entry).

If those functions are in a com object or other similar item then it may be obvious what is installed badly.

I would also advise that you run the ICEs to verify any consistancy errors within the msi file itself.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 03:33

I often see self repair kick in if I have empty components that point to an "empty folder" , or if a key file for a component is installed to a location that is not accessible for the user who invokes the application. An example of this is when you install a file to a %USERPROFILE% path and then forget to set a HKCU registry keypath, and instead set the keypath to point to the %USERPROFILE% folder/file.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 20:44

Another note: It is possible to install components without a GUID (just blank out the component GUID in the setup). If you do this the components should be installed, but they will then be ignored by windows installer. Note that I don't recommend this procedure, but it should certainly disable self-repair for the component in question.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 07:30

More: http://forum.install...?showtopic=9219

(it seems obsolete temporary folders is also a culprit for unexpected windows installer self repair operations).

Edited by Glytzhkof, 21 January 2004 - 07:31.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

orc4random

orc4random
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 21:23

How do you disable self-repair for a one msi package only?

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 06:46

This cannot be done. Self-repair is an integral part of windows installer packages. When self-repair kicks in it is 100% certain that a file or registry key is missing that is set as key path in a component in the MSI.

Reinstall the application and see if that helps. Also look in the event log on the system to see what component causes the self repair.

Edited by Glytzhkof, 15 May 2004 - 06:46.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

KapilMarwah

KapilMarwah
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 13:10

when the repair occurs go and check the eventvwr --> application log and find the faulting component. then check in your msi if that component has some temporary data and cure it. Best of Luck.... smile.gif

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 21:58

Please check this short article for more on self-repair problems and ways to resolve it: http://stackoverflow...-repair/6066263

Regards
-Stein Åsmul