This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Windows service in non admin setup

3 replies to this topic

AlexLX

AlexLX
  • Full Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 15:35

Hi,

There is a requirement in my project according to which I have to add the support of a windows service in my setup.Interesting part is , my setup is a non admin setup and the service requires admin credentials. Is there any way to run this service on non admin machine using my setup(which is a non admin setup) or this is an impossible task.

I tried to look for the solution of this particular query on net but of no luck.

Thanks,
Alex

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 17:08

You may be able to install a service using a user account without admin rights. However, if your service needs admin rights, then a non-admin setup cannot grant it admin permissions. Noone can grant himself admin rights, this would be a security hole.

AlexLX

AlexLX
  • Full Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 17:18

Thanks for the quick reply Stefan. Yes my service requires admin credentials.
That is what I was telling my seniors of my project,but they want if there is a way.
Can you please let me know how do a user can create a service(which does not require admin credential) using my setup. Is this using Advanced Settings in Component ?

Thanks,
Alex

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 17:32

I've never tried it, but you can specify the account in which the service should run (in advanced settings).