This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

A registry key condition does not work.

4 replies to this topic

didiwang

didiwang
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:56

Hello all,

I am a beginner of IS. I was going to modify an existing .ism file to add a test condition before the real installation. The condition should be like this: if a registry key which created by a previous version exists, than quit the installation. The only entry I could found to create such a condition by using create a custom software condition “installation requirement” in “project assistant” page. Every thing seemed ok during setting this condition and then after a system search and a condition have been created. The problem is the warning never came out although such a registry key really exists in the system. I have tried to modify this condition in “General information” of “installation designer” page by removing “Not” from the beginning of this expression. Then this warning always came out despite of all registry key status changing. Any buddy knows what was wrong?

didiwang

didiwang
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:35

I am using installshield 11.5 and create a basic MSI project.

didiwang

didiwang
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:33

This problem has been solved by giving a comcrete value to this registry value in regeditor.

like:
registry root: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
registry key: SOFTWARE\COMPANY_NAME\PRODUCT_NAME\CurrentVersion
registry Value: DisplayVersion

and donot leave the value of DisplayVersion blank in regeditor.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 16:58

Yes, Windows Installer can't check for the existance of a key. It can only read a value and see if it's NULL (if the key or value didn't exist or was an empty string).

didiwang

didiwang
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:39

Thanks Stefan!