This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Microsoft (r) Script Runtime + licence for MSMs

1 reply to this topic

quantdev2004

quantdev2004
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 19:57

Hello everybody,

I am upgrading an existing installer to use MSI technology.

The old installer was distributing and registering scrrun.dll, which is the Microsoft ® Script Runtime. Not sure that is the correct way of redistributing it, but I am going to change things anyway.

It looks like there is no merge module from Microsoft, so I had a search on google and found:
http://saturn.instal...truntimeenu.msm

Is this what I am looking for? I have tried opening the file and, although the File table is empty, I could find the string scrrun.dll embedded within one of the three rows in the Binary table. I am not exactly sure why it is there rather than in the file table and how it is used. Is this a valid merge module?

Also I am not exactly sure I can use this merge module. I am pretty confident in using merge modules from Microsoft, but I am not sure whether one needs a licence to use merge modules.

Can someone expand on these topics?
Thanks,
QD

SourceList

SourceList
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 16:22

QUOTE (quantdev2004 @ 2005-03-09 19:57)
Hello everybody,

I am upgrading an existing installer to use MSI technology.

The old installer was distributing and registering scrrun.dll, which is the Microsoft ® Script Runtime. Not sure that is the correct way of redistributing it, but I am going to change things anyway.

It looks like there is no merge module from Microsoft, so I had a search on google and found:
http://saturn.instal...truntimeenu.msm

Is this what I am looking for? I have tried opening the file and, although the File table is empty, I could find the string scrrun.dll embedded within one of the three rows in the Binary table. I am not exactly sure why it is there rather than in the file table and how it is used. Is this a valid merge module?

Also I am not exactly sure I can use this merge module. I am pretty confident in using merge modules from Microsoft, but I am not sure whether one needs a licence to use merge modules.

Can someone expand on these topics?
Thanks,
QD

Hi QD,

Take a look in the Binary table. You'll find scrrun.dll and vbscript.dll. There's also a VbscriptHelper binary which carries out the installation of these files.

James

James
~~~~~
dotMSI.com