This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

InstallShield 2012 Standalone build broken by Windows update

14 replies to this topic

davidlane

davidlane
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 18:01

After installing today's Windows updates we are no longer able to create kits with InstallShield 2012 Standalone build.

This happens on several Windows 7 machines. The error we get is 

ISDEV : error -6003: An error occurred streaming 'Z:\is\CDROM_IMAGE\DiskImages\DISK1\kitname.isc' into setup.exe.
This happened once before and we traced it to a particular Windows update - 2949927, which was to do with SHA-2 signatures.

Is anyone else seeing this issue?

Thanks in advance

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:05

This could also be related to anti-virus or other causes. Does it only happen with Stand Alone Build or also when you build using the IDE? Any idea which Windows Update might be causing the problem?

davidlane

davidlane
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 14:43

Stefan,

Thanks for the reply. It's not easy to make the test with the IDE - our signing certificate is on removable storage which we can't easily present to our IDE machines. We do all our builds with the standalone build. The problem has only appeared on machines that installed Windows updates yesterday - those that haven't updated can still build. The reason I posted was hoping that someone else had figured out which update - there were 46 on my machine, including several cumulative patches :(

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 00:44

I have sent this to Chris Painter - he is the most knowledgeable I know on the standalone build feature. I am not able to test this with my current machine setup.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 18:00

I tried to submit a question to Installshield / Flexera for this, but it seems my login account is no longer valid.

Did you contact Flexera support for this yourself? I would strongly recommend you do so if you have a support agreement. It could be an important issue, or it might obviously be something with your machine setup. I doubt it however, due to the prior incident with Windows Update 2949927. This would seem to indicate that this is a real issue, and it could take a few days before most people are affected due to the Windows Update roll-out schedule. I guess this is all self-evident, but I just thought I'd mention it.

A couple of relevant links from Installshield community: 

Edited by Glytzhkof, 13 February 2015 - 18:09.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Mike4Online

Mike4Online
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 22:51

After installing today's Windows updates we are no longer able to create kits with InstallShield 2012 Standalone build.

This happens on several Windows 7 machines. The error we get is 

ISDEV : error -6003: An error occurred streaming 'Z:\is\CDROM_IMAGE\DiskImages\DISK1\kitname.isc' into setup.exe.
This happened once before and we traced it to a particular Windows update - 2949927, which was to do with SHA-2 signatures.

Is anyone else seeing this issue?

Yes, I am seeing this exact error with command-line builds using InstallShield 2008 Professional, running on Windows 7 64-bit.  We also experienced the same error in October 2014 due to Windows Update 2949927 (uninstalling that update resolved the issue).  I have not determined whether the reoccurrence of InstallShield ERROR -6003 in command-line builds is due to a particular recent Windows Update, but I suspect it is so.  I am in contact with Flexera support, and will post a solution here if I discover one.

davidlane

davidlane
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 09:15

We still haven't traced it to a specific Windows update. In the end we had to change the release build settings:

- Stop including the MSI engine

- Stop InstallShield signing the msi and setup.exe. We now sign these (and data1.cab) ourselves

Those changes stop InstallShield trying to stream a certificate into setup.exe

Davidlilin

Davidlilin
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:59

Yes, we are also facing the same error with command-line builds using InstallShield 2009 Premier, running on 64-bit Windows recently, and also we cannot find which Windows Update causes this issue. Any suggestions? Thanks.

davidlane

davidlane
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:57

I got the following from InstallShield: "I have been testing this pretty heavily, and have determined that the issue is from the Windows update KB3004394, and it only affects InstallShield 2012 and older".

Mike4Online

Mike4Online
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 19:14

I got the following from InstallShield: "I have been testing this pretty heavily, and have determined that the issue is from the Windows update KB3004394, and it only affects InstallShield 2012 and older".

David,

Thanks for your post.  I just uninstalled Windows Update KB3004394 from my Windows 7 SP1 64-bit machine, and now I can once again do command-line builds using InstallShield 2008 Professional.  The Error -6003 when streaming the MSI into the EXE is gone.

Note that Windows Update KB3004394 was originally released in December 2014, then pulled, then re-released in mid-February

After uninstalling this update from Programs and Features | View installed updates, reboot the PC.  Windows Update will check for available updates and list this update again.  I right-clicked and hid this update so it would not be re-installed.

- Michael

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 17:03

Thanks for posting this workaround. Note however that not installing/removing and disabling a Windows security update is not a good idea as it will make your computer vulnerable to attcks. It might be okay on an isolated build machine that's not connected to the internet but otherwise I would recommend updating InstallShield to a version that's not affected. (I don't expect Flexera Software to release a fix for end-of-life versions of InstallShield)

davidlane

davidlane
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 17:19

Stefan, Totally agree - I wasn't suggesting removing 3004394, simply reporting what InstallShield told me. We have solved the problem another way, by taking over the signing of cab, msi, and setup.exe.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 17:28

Thank you guys. I have posted the information in this thread on my blog at http://blogs.msmvps....and-line-build/

gbehr

gbehr
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 15:27

I too just experienced the same streaming 6003 error on a Win 7 IS 2012 SP1 standalone build configuration. I uninstalled all the Window updates mentioned in this thread and rebooted to no avail. Still getting the error. Manually signing setup.exe etc. is a workaround. Previous posts indicate that "research" identified particular updates as the culprit. How does one do such research? How do I re-install the uninstalled updates?

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 17:28

I assume you can just re-run Windows Update (In Internet Explorer, select Security : Windows Update : Check for Updates). You can uninstall installed updates by clicking "show installed updates" in ARP (Add / Remove Programs in the control panel) and then performing an uninstall.

Edited by Glytzhkof, 14 April 2015 - 17:30.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul