This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Accounting for additional install costs ...

1 reply to this topic

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 16:07

OK, here is the scenario.  We have an install that calls installed .exe's via Custom Actions.  The main .exe called basically makes a backup copy of an Access database, compacts it then updates it with information.

The problem is that some users don't have enough disk space available for the completion of this operation.  What I would like to do is search for the database during the initial stages of the install, get size info and multiply that by three.  Then, I would like to add this to the total cost of the installation.

What would be the best way to go about doing this?  I don't know where/in what property the actual cost of the installation is held when calculated.

Does anyone have any starting points?

Barbara

Barbara
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 11:15

I would write to the ReserveCost table at runtime. Means: Search for the file, calculate the cost and then use a SQL statement to write to the ReserveCost table at setup runtime.

Barbara
The difference between theory and practice is larger in practice than in the theory.