This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Mixed Install types

5 replies to this topic

asric

asric
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2002 - 11:23

I have a CD that I need to build that has some files that need to be installed from a Compressed Installer (Data.cab/Setup.exe). I also have some files that will exist on the CD in an uncompressed form. (Quicktime example files). These are optionally installed on the hard-drive, but I have not found a way to tell installShield that I want to have them uncompressed as well as possibly installed.

My work around is to have them in the folder on the CD uncompressed, and in Data.cab compressed. This is not a very efficient use of the CD, though, since the quicktimes are 100+ MB in size, and will probably end up growing to almost 300 MB.

Any suggestions on where I could continue looking (or better yet, a simple solution) would be appreciated.

David Bajgar

David Bajgar
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 January 2002 - 15:51

There is the “Release Configuration” dialog in the Release Wizard. Try the Custom option of the dialog. You can select the features to compress. The files in the unselected features will not be compressed. But it creates several the *.cab files (according to features). I don’t know how to create only one data.cab file in this way.

asric

asric
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2002 - 17:50

Alright. I tried this, and I can't find this feature of the Release Wizard. I suppose I should have mentioned that this is InstallShield Express 3.03, and not 3.5x, if this makes a difference. I will keep looking and post what I find. Thanks!

asric

asric
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2002 - 22:39

I tried it with an eval version of 3.53, just to see if this was my problem, and I couldn't find the solution there, either. It is getting close to the wire for me, so I think I will go for my work-around for this interim release, but if you could help me out with a more permanent fix, I would appreciate it. I apologize for my lack of experience with the tool's configuration options.

David Bajgar

David Bajgar
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 January 2002 - 08:31

The feature which I mentioned above is in the InstallShield for Windows Installer product. I have no experience with the InstallShiled Express product. Sorry.

hteichert

hteichert
  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 January 2002 - 14:38

Building a partially compressed setup was a problem for me, too. I wanted to build a setup containing MS's MSDE, and all builtin mechanisms of ISWi to build such an installation failed.
To solve the problem I wrote a VBScript that allows to build a partially cabbed setup, based on components. You can select which components shall be put to which cab-file and which components shall be left uncompressed. The script needs MS's tool MakeCab.exe.
If you're interested, please send me an EMail with the text 'CAB-Script' in the subject.