This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

localization: cannot find the string

12 replies to this topic

robert.china

robert.china
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 04:26

I have a msi file, and try to localize it.

Here attached a screen, with the string "Preparing to install....", I cannot find this string in msi tables, can anybody tell me how to find it?

Thanks.

Attached Images

• msi.jpg

Edited by robert.china, 17 January 2004 - 04:27.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 09:16

I believe this string is coming from the msiexec runtime, i.e. from the operating system. It's not in your .msi because it's displayed while your .msi file loads.

robert.china

robert.china
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 02:31

That is it.

I am on simplified chinese windows system, and my msi is based on uisample.msi, Could you please tell me what field to change, so that system can display chinese string for "Preparing to install...." during the msiexec runtime?

Thanks a lot!

Jojo

Jojo
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 13:33

Yes, Stefan is right, it's coming from system, from msi.dll unless I'm wrong.
You will need to localize language in msi _SummaryInfo table and then the message will appear localized.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 14:47

QUOTE (robert.china @ 2004-01-18 02:31)
I am on simplified chinese windows system,

Is your locale (system and user) set to Chinese?

robert.china

robert.china
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 04:16

QUOTE (Stefan Krueger @ 2004-01-19 13:47)
QUOTE (robert.china @ 2004-01-18 02:31)
I am on simplified chinese windows system,

Is your locale (system and user) set to Chinese?

The locale is right set to Simplified Chinese. and I try to use IS to set the Codepage in Summary Information to "936", while the splash screen keep on displaying English.

It is strange............

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 08:27

Does this only happen if you launch setup via setup.exe or also if yu double click the .msi file? In thge latter case it must eb an operating system/MSI runtime issue.

Jojo

Jojo
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 13:31

I try to use IS to set the Codepage in Summary Information to "936",

This should be set to 2052 which is LCID for Simplified Chinese and not to a codepage.

Hope this helps.

robert.china

robert.china
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 07:02

I've just modified my MSI package and change the code page field in Summary Info to 2052 as you've mentioned. However, it does not work. When I tried to install the msi package, the system will remind me this is a corrupted MSI package. Once I changed the field back to 1252 or 936, the MSI package could work again.

Besides, I also tried to look LCID in the MSDN website, it seems that, according to MSDN, there is no 2052 LCID.

Any idea?

Jojo

Jojo
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 17:46

Sorry Robert for confusion.
You were right about the codepage, it should be set to 936 for CHS. What I had in mind was actually the template summary property, which should be ;2052. You can set this property using Orca for example.

robert.china

robert.china
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 04:22

QUOTE (Jojo @ 2004-02-01 16:46)
Sorry Robert for confusion.
You were right about the codepage, it should be set to 936 for CHS. What I had in mind was actually the template summary property, which should be ;2052. You can set this property using Orca for example.

great, you are right!

We plan to install msi file on differently locale, now we know for Chinese is the code is 2052, while where can we find the corresponding code for other locales, such as japanese?

Thanks a lot!

Jojo

Jojo
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 19:13

Here you go Robert:
List of LCID values from MS

Hope, you're not working for some of the major localization competitors in localization industry...
just kidding here cool.gif

Glad to hear you've solved you problem.

robert.china

robert.china
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 04:13

Thank all of you for your great replies

I am just localizing my own msi file, don't worry smile.gif

Edited by robert.china, 13 February 2004 - 04:16.