This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Is this merge module broken as designed?

1 reply to this topic

Matthias1967

Matthias1967
  • Full Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 16:52

Hello,

recently I found an interesting approach to merge modules:

A software vendor (I am not telling the name) does not offer ready-to-use merge modules for his redistributables, but offers developers that have fully installed the vendor's software to create the packages (MSIs or merge modules) they need using a "Deployment Wizard".

This wizard (it is actually implemented in InstallScript, but I do not think that is an issue here) asks the developer which redistributables to include and then creates a package. The resources seem to have been organized into components according to best practices, so it looks feasible at a first glance.

Then I wanted to change my selections and created another package. To my astonishment, all the component GUIDs had changed!

This means that an end-user who has installed several applications using this software and deinstalls one of them will break the others - a risk that should have been avoided by using merge modules.

I think the Deployment Wizard should have assigned a fixed GUID to each component to avoid this behaviour.

Edited by Matthias1967, 29 October 2009 - 16:52.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 20:40

That's true - if those files go to the same directory for all packages. However if each package has his own copy of the file it could work, if there aren't any other shared resources, like reh´gistry entries.