This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Building SETUP.EXE, can we build it as a different name?

7 replies to this topic

• 58 posts

Posted 05 November 2001 - 16:42

Instead of calling the final install and having it as one file, SETUP.EXE, we would like to call it by another name, for example BLA.EXE (not real name).

Can this be done during the packaging process instead of having it build SETUP.EXE, and then rename it manually.

Thanks.

desiree

desiree
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 January 2002 - 10:30

Hello !

I don't think you can for building, but after you can do that at the command line :

copy setup.exe bla.exe

and after delete the setup.exe

But i don't know how to replace the setup.ini with a bla.ini. The setup.ini is necessery !

bye

secretsquirrel

secretsquirrel
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 March 2002 - 06:15

you can get rid of the setup.ini file completely.

you can use the microsoft platform sdk file called msistuff.exe to  put all the ini file settings into the setup.exe binary. no ini file what soever. Then just rename the setup.exe to bla.exe and voila.

madkins

madkins
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 20:01

Can anyone email me a copy of MSISTUFF.EXE (for WinXP) I am having difficulty building the file from the source files that came with the SDK (when I try to run nmake I get a whole lot of missing include files). Will I have similar difficulties building setup.exe even if I get hold of an already built MSIStuff.exe???

Thanks, Mike.

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 09:00

Well according to the readme, you should just be able to type "nmake"... but I have tried it as well and I cannot get it to work sad.gif

madkins

madkins
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 June 2003 - 19:19

Yeah, I don't understand why they don't just ship it compiled. I don't have Visual Studio installed which I think is part of the problem. Do you have need of a copy too?

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 05:16

I have Visual Studio, and I still cannot compile the project.

I should be able to get it going after a bit of messing around, but it will not compile straight out of the sdk..

jmeridth

jmeridth
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 00:05

I had to edit the msistuff.cpp file:

the pchOptions variable in the for loop on line 227 is referenced in an if statement just after the loop but is out of scope by the point.

just remove variable declaration from the for loop to just above it and then the nmake statement will work.

BEFORE:

for (const TCHAR* pchOptions = rgszCommandOptions; *pchOptions; pchOptions++)
{
if (*pchOptions == chOption)
break;
}

if (*pchOptions) .....

AFTER:

const TCHAR* pchOptions;

for (pchOptions = rgszCommandOptions; *pchOptions; pchOptions++)
{
if (*pchOptions == chOption)
break;
}

if (*pchOptions) ......

Hope this helps.