This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Reinstall issue

6 replies to this topic

gatekeeper

gatekeeper
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 00:01

Hello,
Is there a way to install the program for the second time, on the same machine and give a different destination drive?
In OnMaintUIBefore, I have read a new TARGETDIR and call ComponentReinstall() routine. Result, got the new TARGETDIR created on my machine but none of the files get copied.
Thanks for your input
sincerely

PS: Looked into Knowledge base Q104414: Getting rid of Maintenance Mode.... but thats not i want

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 05:54

No, getting rid of maintenance mode is not what you want, and ComponentReinstall is just going to re-copy the files to the original location.

But why on earth do you want to be able to do this?  Why not just have the user uninstall and then reinstall the product in a different location?

If you must though get this functionality though, then you should basically do this same thing for them.  Do ComponentRemoveAll, ask for a new TARGETDIR, and then do ComponentTransferData.  You can play around with the order a little (i.e. TARGETDIR, Remove, Transfer), but these are the pieces you'll need.  Hope it helps.
user posted image

gatekeeper

gatekeeper
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 16:07

"Why on Earth....." well, sometimes we want to install files on the Network (Unix) machines as well as local machine. so multiple installation.
For the same reason, I dont want to uninstall the local installation. so TacoBell, ComponentRemoveAll is something I cannt use..... Is there another solution?
Would manipulation of registry help? If so, then what should I be changing?

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 16:59

Then just skip that part and ask for a new TARGETDIR and do ComponentTransferData.

However, the uninstall will be switched over to just do the latter installation.

With some work you can probably make both uninstalls available, but it would take some copying of files (i.e. C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\<ProjectGUID>) and registry entries (i.e. HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\<ProjectGUID>), but unforunately I don't have time to go into the details.
user posted image

gatekeeper

gatekeeper
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 17:34

Thanks TacoBell for your quick reply.... I will implement what you have suggested and check the results.
Thanks once again.

PS: For uninstallation, I will also look into that. The two sets of files (u mentioned) are the only files that I need to look into?

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 18:31

Yes, the two ITEMS I metioned will cover uninstallation.
user posted image

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 10:05

Just as a side note: side by side installations are now supported in Professional version 7, without tricks. It also supports uninstall and updates quite nice.