This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Re-running MSI after patching

2 replies to this topic

AlistairImrie

AlistairImrie
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 18:07

Can anyone describe the expected behavior in this scenario:
1) Run a base-line MSI installer, leave some features unselected.
2) Apply a patch (with REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=omus).
3) Double-click on the original MSI, select modify, and select some features that were previously unselected, then proceed with installation.

I am consistently getting internal error 2356 (during step 3) referring to the (internal) .cab file that contains all the new files added to the updated (full) installer. One file is removed in the updated installer, but its component is retained. This does cause a shift in the file sequence, but Orca suggests that the patch transforms the base-line correctly.

Am I doing something wrong in the sequence above? Is it allowed to re-run an .MSI after patching and then select some features for the first time?

Can anyone think of anything I may be doing wrong? The patch appears to work, and I can even run a second patch successfully, which suggests the patches are OK, but maybe I overlooked something.

Alistair.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 13:35

The patch is cached and should automatically be applied to the newly selected feature.
Does the same problem happen with an uncompressed setup?
Did you perform validation? Maybe there's an issue with the file sequence numbers?

AlistairImrie

AlistairImrie
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 21:25

There's a mountain of validation errors and warnings. A large proportion come from third-party merge modules (including Microsoft).
I think I see another possible cause, peculiar to the way we build our project. I'll investigate that, and get back here if there's still an issue.

I appreciate the reassurance that users ought to be able to re-run a base-line MSI after patching and add in extra features.

Edited by AlistairImrie, 19 May 2010 - 21:26.