This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Updater Application Block

3 replies to this topic

Eyalito

Eyalito
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 11:10

Hi

We have a .Net win32 application that is installed using Windows Installer (.msi). The msi is created with a VS2003 Setup & Deployment project.

Now we are trying to implement an auto-updater for the application using the Updater Application Block 1.0 (win2k). I tested the UAB on a sample testing application and it works well.
The problem is with the architecture of the UAB and the way it applies the update. The UAB requires all the files of the app to be copied from the server to a new version-folder of the app installation on the user machine, then modifing the config file of the AppStart to direct it to launch the right version.

I would like to publish the update on the server as msi or msp files and run it on the user machine to update the current installation. Right, I can try and modify the source of the UAB to my requirements, but as I've seen this update method implemented in many other applications I assume there is already a better way of doing it.

Any suggestions... whether with or without the UAB

Thanks in Advance!

Eyal

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 12:51

If your application was installed using MSI in the first place then you should update it using a patch (.msp) or by installing the new .msi on top of it. Not by replacing files like UAB does.

Eyalito

Eyalito
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 14:05

Thanks Stefan.

I figured out that the UAB might not fit for this task. Do you know of any component or a sample that might help in this case ?

Just to make this case more clear: The application is installed using MSI and updates will be published on the server as a patch (msp) or new installation package (msi). The client application should be able to auto-update so that the update file is downloaded and silently run with minimum user interaction. something like the msn messenger is updated (but in a silent mode).

Thanks!

Eyal

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 17:52

Using an msp for updatiung is fine. But Applying an msp while the app is running may be a problem, or require a reboot. And I think UAB tries to update the running app, right?
You could use an external tool to download the patch, when the app is not ruinning. InstallShield's Update Service can do this for example.
The WiX community is also working on a solution for this task:
http://wix.sourcefor...t/ctvision.html