This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Creating log file with Installscript Projects.

3 replies to this topic

rjprasadch

rjprasadch
  • Full Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 13:22

Hi,

We are using Installshield 12 for making the setup. Our project type is Installscript. Can anyone let me know how to create log files for Installscript projects. Whether there is any option in Installshield to create the log file or we need to make any specific code changes in the script.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 13:36

InstalShield automatically creates a uninstall "log" but that ssentially only lists the resources it installed, but it's not a log of the install procedure. There's no built in functionality for this, but you could implement it on your own - see paragraph "Log Results of Function Calls" at http://www.installsi...en/isp_misc.htm for some ideas.

rjprasadch

rjprasadch
  • Full Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:43

Thank you very much for your reply. I have looked into the website : http://www.installsi...en/isp_misc.htm. I am assuming the log file provided in this website is for creating the log file during setup.

Our requirement is during installation of the setup on user's machine, if installation fails, then information should be logged in the log file why installation is failed.

Can you please let me know the workaround for this.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 14:44

The logging sample that Stefan pointed out would indeed accomplish what you desire as it will still be available in the event of an installation failure. It's just a matter of populating it with the necessary information.

I have such logging functionality included with all of my setups and it's very helpful for debugging any installation problems.
user posted image