This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

installing dll of same version

1 reply to this topic

gladely

gladely
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 23:08

We have lots of problems with our MSI packages... so I'll try to ask this in an abstract way that doesn't target the actual validation of the package itself until it is determined that this behavior is due to our problems, and not a standard behavior with revving files.

Package A contains foo.dll, version 1.0.2.0. This package is installed on the target computer. The application is open and has locked the dll.

Package B has an older version of that dll, 1.0.1.0. When installing package B, it recognizes the version on the computer is older and does not prompt to close the application in order to replace it.

Package C has a newer version of that dll, 1.0.3.0. It correctly prompts to close the application in order to replace it.

Package D - the problem package - has version 1.0.2.0 as well. (Yes, I know this breaks a lot of rules...)

Why does MSI prompt to close the application in order to replace the exact same version? I would expect this to behave exactly like package B, not installing the dll but still increasing the reference counts.

Thanks,
Glade

gladely

gladely
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 00:23

I found it. The language column for the specified DLL does not match the language marked on the DLL itself. Yay, its our package!

Useful info here:
http://msdn2.microso...y/aa367835.aspx