This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Changing Service Startup Type

2 replies to this topic

spdygnlz

spdygnlz
  • Full Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 20:15

What is the best way to change the startup type of an EXISTING service? There's a Windows service that we use that up until Windows 2003 it worked fine, but in 2003, it's disabled by default. (I think XP SP2 may be the same way actually.) I know you can set the startup type when you create a new service, but this one is not new.

I suppose I could change it right in the registry. That would be really easy, but seems kinda like a hack. Any suggestions? Does Windows Installer change that if you try to start it from the ServiceControl table?

-- spdygnlz --

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:34

You may be able to START a service during install, but I don't think you can change the START TYPE of an existing service using built-in MSI functionality. So you would have to call a custom action, using the appropriate Windows APIs (I don't recommend changing the registry directly).

spdygnlz

spdygnlz
  • Full Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 16:46

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. OK. Thanks!

-- spdygnlz --