This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to patch

2 replies to this topic

Christoph

Christoph
  • Full Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 17:06

I'm going to ask maybe a stupid question but...I'm going to give it a try. rolleyes.gif

I've made my basic MSI project ready for installing my application.

When I want to create patch for this application, do I need to add the entries(within the PatchDesign view) to my original project or do I need to create a new, separate, patchproject??

How do you guys handle this??

Thanks for any information...

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 14:50

Usually you keep using your existing project file. Make any required changes for the new version (like updating the version number), add an entry in Upgrades view, build your new setup and (if desired) generate a patch. I'd recommend you define a new Release for the new version, or keep a copy of the old version elsewhere as you will need it to generate the patch.

Christoph

Christoph
  • Full Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 16:53

Ok,

I will be using this approach for creating patches.

Today, I build my first patch as a test.

I did the following:
  • Build an installer
  • Build a second installer, with the same resources(files included) exept of one component(so that 20 files where newer)
  • Build the patch between these two builds

During the patch building process I get following messages:
"The file 'x' in component 'Y' is different from the file in the previous package, but the key file for this component did not change. As a result, the cahnged file will notget installed in an upgrade scenario.... errorcode Val0004".

This is strange because this message is talking about a file that is exactly the same within the two installers + the fact that it says "the keyfile did not change"... I don't have a keyfile defined within this component since all files are linked in dynamically.

Any ideas why I get these messages?

Thanks for any help...