This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Removing merge modules on uninstall

10 replies to this topic

AlexH

AlexH
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 August 2001 - 15:20

Hi,

Does anyone know if there's a way of removing the contents merge module on un-installation? I've added a merge module to one of my MSIs and I want to remove it's contents (along with the rest of the files installed by the MSI) on un-installation.

Thanks.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 August 2001 - 19:46

Files in merge modules should be removed at uninstall in the same way (and with the same restrictions and exceptions) as files in the consuming package.

AlexH

AlexH
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 August 2001 - 08:53

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your reply - that was my expectation, but this doesn't seem to be happening. I am using a merge module that I created (rather than one supplied by MS) so perhaps I have failed to set a flag in the module? Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 August 2001 - 09:32

Where do the files in that merge module install? In INSTALLDIR or in the Windows or System directory? Are the components set to be shared, permanent or anything special?

AlexH

AlexH
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 August 2001 - 10:26

Hi Stefan,

The files are installing to folders off [INSTALLDIR] (places like "[INSTALLDIR]Resources"). I have no dependencies and no exclusions. None of the components are shared or permenant and there are no other conditions set on them.

I'm not sure if that is going to be much help! I haven't added anything to the "Remove files" table - should I be doing that?

Thanks Stefan.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 August 2001 - 17:26

No, you shouldn't have to add anything to the RemoveFiles table. Did you test this on a clean machine (fresh OS install, with no traced from a previous test)?

AlexH

AlexH
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 August 2001 - 11:46

Hi Stefan,

I've just tried this on a completely fresh OS and it seems to work. I wasn't using a fresh OS before but I was making sure that the files that were being installed by the merge module weren't there when I did the install. I did also ensure that I un-installed the MSI everytime I installed it (rather than just putting new versions over the top of olds ones).

It does seem to be working now though, so thanks for all your help Stefan.

Alex H.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 28 August 2001 - 20:12

Did you also clean the shared dll refcount in registry?

AlexH

AlexH
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 08:33

Hi Stefan,

There aren't any DLLs in the module.

Alex H.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 12:19

any file that have a reference counter in registry for that matter... could be DLLs, OCXs, whatever

AlexH

AlexH
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 12:24

Hi Stefan,

The only things in the module are bitmaps and (what are effectively) text files. None of the components are set to be shared and none of them are adding any info to the registry, so presumably I don't need to do anything else in this area?

Thanks Stefan.