This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Serial number validation DLL custom action problem

2 replies to this topic

zolishield

zolishield
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 11:08

In my ISE project I have a custom
DLL action for the serial number validation. This validation function runs
after the Customer Information dialog box.
The function is working fine under Windows 2000 and XP, but under 98 and NT when the serial number validation function should execute, I got the following error message:

InstallShield DLL Custom Action
File 'd:\win98\temp\register.dll' can not be found. Make sure the file is
on target system or installed already.

The register.dll file is the file containing the serial number validation
function and other custom action functions. The problem is that during the setup process, the register.dll file is not copied into the users temporary directory.

Is there a workaround

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 11:42

Please take a look at the specified directory (while the message is still on the screen) to see if the DLL is there or not. It may well be that the DLL cannot run on these operating systems, thus producing a misleading error message.
Also try to load the DLL using Dependency Walker (http://www.dependencywalker.com) on the failing machine to see if a required file is missing or outdated.

zolishield

zolishield
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 07:03

Thanks Stefan.

Indeed the problem was that my DLL tryed to use the GetFolderPath function from SHELL32.DLL. This function is included in SHELL32.DLL only in Windows 2000 and XP. To work also in older Windows versions we should link the GetFolderPath to SHFOLDER.DLL. The error message displayed by InstallSheld Express was missleading.

Zoli