This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

.CFG-files upgradeing

4 replies to this topic

nesesser

nesesser
  • Full Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 13:59

I faced a problem.
There is program 1.0 and program 1.1 version.
Setup 1.1 doesnt update the part of files - files without version property. CFG-files in my case (xml and ini the same way). While DLL and EXE files upgraded properly.
Because of this my program does not work.
What can you say about it?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:09

If the CFG files have been edited after they have been installed Windows Installer will not overwrite them to preserve user settings. This is by design (see topic File Versioning Rules).
You could add the files to the RemoveFile table to delete them before the new version installs. Or you can "lie" about the version number (which can have side effects). In recent InstallShield versions there an "always overwrite" option which does the version lying for you.

nesesser

nesesser
  • Full Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:52

Thanks a lot. I'll try.

nesesser

nesesser
  • Full Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 12:57

In recent InstallShield versions there an "always overwrite" option which does the version lying for you.

I have Dynamic File Linking in my project. This property ("always overwrite") is unavailable there.
I'm experimenting with RemoveFile table now =)

nesesser

nesesser
  • Full Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 10:09

I had some experiments with RemoveFile table, but they hadnt finished succesfully. Then I wrote Custom Action deleting my problem files by force. I thought Win Inslaller will copying missing files.
I was wrong.
There is an error 1904 Module <file1.dll> failed to register. HRESULT [3].
Now my Installation deleting problem files only. After updating all directorys are empty.
After that I tried to mark my problem files by Always owerwrite property, but it was no effect. All files stayed as it was.

What is going on? I'm puzzled =)