This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Launching Release Notes after install

5 replies to this topic

cmessman

cmessman
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 June 2001 - 17:41

The SetupCompletedSuccess dialog optionally displays a checkbox to allow users to view a readme after a successful installation.  I would like to leverage this to launch a browser displaying our release notes.  

Questions:  
     What are the properties(SHOWLAUNCHREADME="-1"  And READMEFILETOLAUNCHATEND <> "" And NOT Installed) shown in the Conditions window for the dialog that control the visibility of the readme checkbox?  How are these used?

What is the syntax to launch a custom action on the OK button if the if the CheckLaunchReadme checkbox is checked?

Is there already some hook for this that can be leveraged?

Kelly Russell

Kelly Russell
  • Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 July 2001 - 22:04

Hey Chris,

This is how I did it to launch a readme file…. you may find it useful.

First I added a File “readme.txt” to a component that installs to [INSTALLDIR]

Then I created a Custom Action, which I called “LaunchReadme” (I wanted to launch NOTEPAD) so:

Type: 226
Source: WindowsFolder
Target:  Notepad.exe [INSTALLDIR]readme.txt

In the Dialog Behavior section for the OK button I added a “DoAction” event, the argument is my Custom Action, “LaunchReadme”, and my condition was only on install so:

LAUNCHREADME ="1" AND NOT Installed

cmyanko

cmyanko
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 July 2001 - 15:47

Could we elaborate on this more? I'm not sure the original question was answered.

I see in the developers guide that there is a custom action called SetARPReadme that is supposed to automaticly added just by poulating the Win2k properties with the name of a readme file.

How do we get the checkbox to enable and then how do we act on a 'checked' checkbox to launch our readme.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 July 2001 - 17:11

These appear to be incomplete hooks. You can set SHOWLAUNCHREADME to -1 in the property manager. You also want to have Not Installed in the condition to show the check box.
You can use the DoSction control event to execute a custom action when the Next button is clicked. Put a condition on the CA so that it only fires when the checkbox is checked.

cmyanko

cmyanko
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 July 2001 - 17:20

That's what I've been pursueing. I pulled the READMEFILETOLAUNCHATEND property and set SHOWLAUNCHREADME. That got the box to show but clicking on it didn't 'check' it?? I set up the DoAction as well but have to get the checkbox to take before I can continue on.

It seems to me that this Dialog is a special case as it is a -1 sequence and doesn't have access to much of the installer process.

I'll keep slugging and update the thread here.