This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Filename case and error -6636

2 replies to this topic

Quinapalus

Quinapalus
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 05:43

I'm kind of guessing about which forum this goes in -- I'm building an MSM with ISDS 9. The files in question are in the MSM but the error doesn't surface until I build the containing MSI.

The MSM has some 800 files, many with the same name in different directories; 6 errors are thrown regarding filenames which differ only in case: README.txt and readme.txt, for example. As the errors imply, when installed, one of each file whose name differed only in case is clobbered by a copy of the other file. I understand the suggested remedy, of delving into the File table and disambiguating the names by hand. I guess my real question is: is ISDS really pathetic enough to cheerfully write the conflicting files into the File db in the MSM and then only complain when it reads them back for inclusion into the MSI??

Quinapalus

Quinapalus
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 07:48

Okay, I spoke too soon. If I rename a file key in the File table, for example from "error.py.[GUID]" to "error.py0.[GUID]" (in much the same way the real duplicate filekeys are __init__.py1, ...), when I try to build the MSI, that file, instead of generating a -6636, generates "-1501 could not compress {filekey} into ...Data1.cab".

Any ideas?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 09:16

One possible workaround could be to specify source locations (i.e. sub folders on your install cd) for those files.
But I think there was also a bug in InstallShield where file names that differ in case result in incorrect table entries. Try validating your MSM file.