This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

ODAC 11.2.0.1.2 Install

8 replies to this topic

santlib

santlib
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 20:59

Oracle, for whatever reason is not longer providing a .exe (or .msi) to install this product. Instead they provide a .zip file (for Windows) See (http://www.oracle.co...oft-086879.html)

To install the product you must unzip the content to a temporary folder and then launch the 'install.bat' [product] [location] [OracleSID]
Where [product] is either the specific product you want to install (asp.net, instant client, etc) or 'ALL', in which case all products are installed.
[location] is the location where you want the products to be installed.
[OracleSID] is the target SID, which if it exist all registry entries are added to existing home for that SID, otherwise a new home is created.

My questions:
1) Have anybody created a MSI installation (msi or msm) for this product or similar Oracle product for which you may share the Installshield project?
2) What would be the best approach to create a installation for this product?
2.1) Should I package the .zip file and then create a custom action that unpacks it and another custom action that launches the 'install.bat'?
2.2) Should I package the unzipped files as part of support files and then call the 'install.bat' via custom action?
2.3) How do I go about checking for space requirement, location of other Oracle products on target system, etc.?

I know they are a lot of questions. But any suggestion would be sincerely appreciated.
Thank you!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:59

Does the ZIP include a msi based setup? This would limit your options since two msi setups can't run at the same time.

Adding the (extracted) content of the ZIP to support files would avoid the custom action (or InstallScript) to unzip, however it would make it harder to replace the zip with a newer version, and you will have to check Oracle's license if this is allowed.

In an InstallScript project you can sue script to check the disk space.
In a msi project you could create a dummy feature and component, and use the ReserveCost table to note the required space so Windows Installer can check for it.

santlib

santlib
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 18:49

Thanks for your reply Stefan
Oracle installation for this product is a call to a batch file (install.bat) after unzipping the content of the zip file on a temp folder.
I have no problem creating the custom action that will unzip the files first. No sure how to do that.
But I am unclear where I need to put the zip file. Should I include it as a support file? Should I create a component?

My plan is as follow:
1.- Include the zip file either as a component or a support file.
2.- Check for space requirement.
3.- Unzip file to temp folder on target system.
4.- Launch 'install.bat' to install product.
5.- Check install.log for errors.

There is a few conditions that I may have to check for (I'll find them as I test my installation on systems with other products from Oracle). I believe the 'install.bat' checks for dependencies between the products being installed and for the existence of the products in the target system.
If you could point out the best approach to implement the above 5 steps it would be sincerely appreciated.
Thanks for being there with installsite since I can remember ;-)
I have been a Install developer since 1997 using mainly installscript. I am now trying to move to MSI. Thanks again!

Edited by santlib, 13 December 2010 - 18:53.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 14:08

I would put the ZIP file in support files since you only need it temporarily.

santlib

santlib
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 20:31

Fighting with the Unzip custom action blink.gif
I have created as follow:
CA name:ODACUnzip
CA tyep: 34
CA folder:WindowsFolder
CA cmline: cmd /c [SUPPORTDIR]7z.exe -x ODAC112012Xcopy.zip -aoa -o[SUPPORTDIR]ODACInstall
CA descr: Unzip Oracle Data Access Components (ODAC) 11.2.0.1.2 Installation files

It is a immediate execute CA that runs after Costfinalize

No sure what I am doing wrong!
unsure.gif

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:27

What happens (how does it fail? What's in the log?)

I guess you should ut quotes around the path:

CA cmline: cmd /c "[SUPPORTDIR]7z.exe" -x ODAC112012Xcopy.zip -aoa -o"[SUPPORTDIR]ODACInstall"

Where will 7z look for the .zip file? Note that you set the working directory to the WIndows Folder. If 7z is looking in the current working directory, you should set the CA folder to SUPPORTDIR instead of WindowsFolder.

Also make sure you set it to ignore the exit code.

santlib

santlib
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 17:30

I have tried it with multiple formats. With quotes ", without them, ...
Interestingly enough if i make the call via cmd as follow:
cmd /c [SUPPORTDIR]7z.exe -x [SUPPORTDIR]ODAC112012Xcopy.zip -aoa -o[SUPPORTDIR]ODACInstall
The \ after [SUPPORTDIR] are not required, but if I make the call without cmd:
[SUPPORTDIR]\7z.exe x [SUPPORTDIR]\ODAC112012Xcopy.zip -aoa -o[SUPPORTDIR]\ODACInstall
Then the / are required...weird.

My last attempt I even pipe the result of 7z.exe execution into a log:

Error:
Invalid command line

santlib

santlib
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 22:52

Really stupid mistake!!
I was calling 7z.exe with '-x' instead just 'x'

One more question.
How can I hide the windows that shows up during the run of 7z.exe?
Thx!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 08:39

If you're talking about the cmd window, try /Q
If 7zip shows a program window, look up their documentation to see if they have a silent command line option.