This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

feature prerequise error on installing from DVD

8 replies to this topic

sharon.cohen

sharon.cohen
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 15:01

Hi all,

I am building a major setup with feature that has 2 prerequisites (msi packages) of a 3rd party.

On installation from network, I get a note: would you like to run the setup.exe? for security reasons, And once I select to install, all goes fine.
On installation from DVD, I am not required to approve the installation.

I am encountering serious problems :
Right after the feature selection, I can see a progress bar, with note for: installing x (the prerequisite)
shortly after that, I get an error 1500 (another win installer package is running) and I have to cancel the main installer.

According to the log file, IsInstallPrerequisites returns value=1,
On entrance to executeAction, I can see teh next lines in log of network install as well as DVD: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding SECONDSEQUENCE property. Its value is '1'. On install from network, the next line is: Grabbed execution mutex.
On install from DVD, the next line is Note: 1 : 1500...error 1500..another installation is in progress...

I can see both prerequisites in add/remove programs window after getting this error and cancelling the installation on run from DVD.

Does anyone have an idea why does it only get reproduced on installation from DVD and how can I solve this issue?
Please help, It's a major problem....

Thanks, Sharon.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 17:37

Looks like it's not waiting for the prerequisite install to complete before it procedes with your setup.

sharon.cohen

sharon.cohen
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 18:06

Hi Stefan,

thanks for your reply.
I agree with your diagnostic, I need to know why it happens from DVD only and how can I solve this issue ASAP.
Another interesting note: When running the installation from network, The log file of the main installer includes logging for the prerequisite as well.
On installation from DVD, The log does not contain this logging info, although installation of prerequisite is being run and completes.

I tried setting the prerequisites to be run from setup exe, as opposed to previous setting to be copied from source media. I also marked the prerequisites as requiring WI engine to already exist before run. It didn't solve the problem.

Any thoughts? unsure.gif
Thanks for your time,
Sharon.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:10

Is your prerequisite a msi setup? Or an InstallScript setup? Or something else?
InstallShield's setup.exe can behave differently depending on its location (removable vs. non-removable media). here are command line switches to control this. So if the prerequisite is a InstallScript satup you could try these switches.

sharon.cohen

sharon.cohen
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:17

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your reply.
Both prerequisites are msi packages,
I set one of them as having dependency on the other's prq file.

Do you know of special parameters I should pass them to fix this issue?

Thanks,
Sharon.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:22

No, I think the launcher lifetime issue is only related to InstallScript projects.

smc0862

smc0862
  • Full Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:21

QUOTE (sharon.cohen @ 2009-10-20 15:01)
I am encountering serious problems :
Right after the feature selection, I can see a progress bar, with note for: installing x (the prerequisite)
shortly after that, I get an error 1500 (another win installer package is running) and I have to cancel the main installer.

Sharon,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you are running these 3rd party MSI packages while your setup is in progress (i.e. after the feature selection).

How do you actually have these included into your installer and how are you launching them? Are they nested MSI packages that are conditionalized based on feature selection?

-Shawn

sharon.cohen

sharon.cohen
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:27

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for your reply.
I am using Installshield 2009 new feature of feature prerequisiste.
I have 2 prerequisite installations, both msi packages. One is dependent on the other so I marked it as dependent on the other prq as recommended.
Once feature is installed, ISD 2009 is supposed to run its prerequisites.
This is all done before the main installer enters the execute sequence.
For some reason, all works fine from network but fails on installation from DVD.

Seems taht in teh specific case of launching install from a DVD the main installation tries to start while the pre' is still running or something of that sort.
I have ISD 2009 SP2 installed, And was not able to find any documentation for this problem.

I would really appreceate any help on this...I guess I am not the only one using feature prerequisites and this is a major issue of this new feature of ISD....

smc0862

smc0862
  • Full Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 15:08

Sharon,

I'm still on IS12, but have an order in for IS 2010. Didn't realize they allow MSI packages to be run from within a setup now. That would be a great feature if it worked... laugh.gif

Is your DVD device set to AutoPlay? If so, try disabling AutoPlay and see if it works. Just a thought...

-Shawn