This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

distributed installs

1 reply to this topic

Gvo

Gvo
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 August 2002 - 01:01

Hello,
I am looking for a tool that supports remote installs. For example, I need to install some components of my application on a hundred of remote machines. They are accessible via intranet, but they don't have access to internet.
What would be the best tool to use, which will minimize the need to physically access remote machines?

Thanks!

Jaytee

Jaytee
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 September 2002 - 16:27

Your best bet is to use a SMS tool and perform silent installs.  The SMS (Systems Manager Server) tool will push the installers into the distributed boxes and then you can trigger a silent install from there.  If you using install shield you can use response files to pass any install variables like install path to the installer so the installation can be unintended.  Microsoft makes a SMS for a Windows network.  I believe there are some Unix based SMS but I have never used one.  

Hope that helps.