This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Windows Installer Version 2.0

5 replies to this topic

janmarker

janmarker
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 September 2001 - 17:29

I just reviewed the "What's New" information by Steve Moss on his Windows Installer replacement setup.exe and also now realize that the latest runtime version and SDK of Windows Installer are available for download.   I appreciate InstallSite and Steve Moss making this information available for us, but I am a little hesitant to make these changes to my setup packages as well as my own Win2000 machine.

Does anyone have some experience building setups using IPWI 2.03 with the replacement setup.exe from Steve Moss?  I would appreciate any tips before I start changing things on my machine.

Thanks for your help in advance.

coco

coco
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 September 2001 - 19:28

Jan:

I will leave it to others to respond about their experiences with my replacement setup.exe, but what I can say is this:

The setup.exe was written primarily for our own in-house use, and quality-audited for that purpose. We will also soon be using it for our own commercial product installers, and will therefore be more extensively testing it as time goes by.

As a courtesy to fellow IPWI 2.x users, we decided to offer it for general consumption via Stefan's site here. While it does work well for ourselves, it may or may not suit your own needs or quality controls.

One thing it does need is for you or others to put it through its paces - I welcome and encourage feedback and bug reports, and I will do my utmost to fix any issue that is reported.

As I have only just made the replacement available, I doubt if there are many people who have had the chance to use it yet.

janmarker

janmarker
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 September 2001 - 19:36

Thanks, Steve.  If I go ahead and try it out, I will be careful to make backups of files and registry entries first.

I will report back to this forum anything that might help others like me.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 September 2001 - 22:11

As for MSi 2.0 in general: I suggest you test your setup on a machine with MSi 2.0, even if you ship an older version. Some other package may update the runtime files, or you may be running on Windows XP, so your setup should behave properly with MSI 2.0.

janmarker

janmarker
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 September 2001 - 16:41

Thanks for the advice, Stefan.  I will do as you suggest prior to shipping.  I do not want to cause problems for my users.  They are pretty happy with the install setup package as it exists today and I would like to keep that happy relationship going.