This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

AFTERREBOOT, Is custom action required for this?

4 replies to this topic

mhz

mhz
  • Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 08:59

Hi.

My product is Installshield 10.5 (AdminStudio). I have made many basic-MSI's, but no installscript. I write VB(6,.NET,script) and some C#.

I have several features, which have basically these conditions:

Feature1 (VersionNT=400 AND Not Installed).
Feature2 (VersionNT=400 AND AFTERREBOOT=1)
Feature3 (VersionNT>=500)
Feature4 (VersionNT>=500 OR (VersionNT=400 AND AFTERREBOOT=1))

As you can see, I tried to install features before and after reboot with feature conditions such as (VersionNT=400 AND AFTERREBOOT=1). The features after the reboot never install. What is more, during the initial run before the reboot, the InstallValidate shows that those components inside the "conditional" features as Installed: Absent, Request: Null, Action: Null

So I'm guessing that I'm making feature conditions that are invalid? Maybe the AFTERREBOOT is only ever recognized in the InstallExecute actions, but cannot be part of a feature condition?

In my InstallExecute sequence, with AFTERREBOOT<>1, etc. the reboot part works. If I need features that only install after the reboot, do I have to learn to write a custom action for that? Can someone point me to example CA for how to handle it? I have not written CA's before, but with an example I should be able to understand.

Some help would be so much appreciated.

unsure.gif
-------------------------------------------
The things that seem obvious to you, ARE NOT. If they were, people wouldn't be spending their time here.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:08

You can use AFTERREBOOT to resume a setup after a ForceReboot action. But file copy, and evaluation of feature conditions, happens only once, as far as I know.

Why do you need to install some feature before reboot and other after reboot?

mhz

mhz
  • Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 16:56

Thanks for asking, in case maybe I am going about this wrong. The reason is that on one of the OS versions, I need to install a pre-requisite software, (WMI Core 1.5) which will need to be used later in the installation.

I was told by the other developer (who handed off this project) that a reboot is necessary to get the WMI components working. Then...

Feature4 (VersionNT>=500 OR (VersionNT=400 AND AFTERREBOOT=1))

will execute a script that requires the WMI.

At my place of business, normally the actions such as a reboot are handled by an external job framework, such as SMS or Patchlink. But this particular installation is the first one for "unmanaged" machines, meaning that I have to get all the setup functions to run from one MSI (one download, one click for user).

The things that seem obvious to you, ARE NOT. If they were, people wouldn't be spending their time here.

mhz

mhz
  • Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 06:39

If CA is necessary, I would like to see an example of how one would install a feature via custom action. Thus far I have never needed custom actions. I'm not familiar with the API's or objects that are available.

Do I need to set the InstallLevels in a special way so that the standard actions don't decide to install the features, but rather the Custom Action does all of the work?

I can look up the details, once I have an idea to go on, but first I need an overview, or basic idea of how it could be done.

Thanks again for your help.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 17:42

Your options:
Install WMI and all the other files, then reboot, then run the script.
-or-
Use a setup.exe to install WMI as a prerequisite.
-or-
Install WMI using a custom action before reguslar file copy.