This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Adding program folders/shortcuts using Automation?

3 replies to this topic

rbrinda

rbrinda
  • Full Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 December 2001 - 20:28

Hi All,

I want to add some program folders/shortcuts to the MSI install application using automation interface. I tried using Developer7 automation layer, but there is no property in the ISWIFolder object to set the display name of the program folder. Is there any way to do this using ISDeveloper 7 automation or do i have to use only the MSI Api to edit the directory table of the .msi file to add the shortcuts? I would really appreciate any help....

Thanks in advance.

JG1210

JG1210
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 December 2001 - 21:48

AddFolderIcon function in installshield always works pretty well for me.  Have you tried this?

rbrinda

rbrinda
  • Full Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 December 2001 - 21:58

Thanks for the quick reply! But i dont use Installscript for custom actions. All my custom actions are written in C++. Moreover, i use the Installshield automation to add components and files to the install project. Before building the install project, i use an application that will add the components and files to the install project using installshield developer 7 automation. In a similar way, i want to add shortcuts and program folders using automation methods. But i dont find any function in ISWIFolder automation object to set a program folder's "displayname". If you have any ideas about how to set the shortcuts and folders using automation, please help. Thanks.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 December 2001 - 20:36

For those of you struggling with the automation interface: did you notice that in ISD7 the .ism project files are actually (extended) .msi files, i.e. they have the same file format and you can use the Msi API and automation functions to modify them. If you don't believe me: rename the .ism to .msi and open it in Orca.