This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Multiple Instance, reinstall, no maintenance

9 replies to this topic

ShelleyO

ShelleyO
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 15:55

Hi,

Can someone help me with the following install requirements:

- reinstall an product without running into maintenance mode.
- install to different directories each time the install is run, (not each time you rebuild the project and then install the product after changing the ProductCode)

Thanks

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 18:33

Reinstall *IS* maintenance mode. You can however remove the dialog with the options repair-modify-uninstall

At http://www.installsi.../en/msi/isd.htm there are two tools that may be useful for you (near the bottom of the page:

• Setup Launcher to Suppress Maintenance Mode in IS6 and ISD7
  • InstallShield Developer Utility Collection

ShelleyO

ShelleyO
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 22:04

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

However, maybe I didn't explain myself in point one correctly. What I want to do is avoid the maintenance screen, not the maintenance 'mode'. Which I have achieved.

What I am having trouble with, is installing the same install to a different location each time I run the install. It seems to install to the same directory each time I run it, the directory being the directory you choose you first time you ran the install.

I have had a look at the tools you mentioned previously, however they were not able to achieve this.

Thanks

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 07:40

That's interesting. Did you create a log to see what's going on? Ususally you should be able to install to a new location.

ShelleyO

ShelleyO
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 15:52

Hi,

I had a look at the log file and there seemed something going on just as the action InstallFiles is called. On the first install, the install does something to do with patches and then the files are copied. On subsequent installs, the files are copied and then the patch thing happens.

While using the is67launcher, I notice that it doesn't delete the registry entries for the component information in the UserData area. Is it supposed to delete them? After deleting these entries the install then works as you say it should.

Thanks

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 17:45

If you don't care about uninstall, repair or patching, you can NULL the component GUIDs. Thus the components won't get registered.

ShelleyO

ShelleyO
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 May 2003 - 08:20

Hi,

Yes, I figured that out but didn't really want to say! Not really a recommended way to install software but one of the products I do installs for requires this method.

Thanks

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 23 May 2003 - 12:19

Shelley,
Did you figure out how to put the files in a different folder each time?
If not, try this:

Include a ControlEvent somewhere in the line, make it read:

Reinstall ALL

This controlevent ensures that all components are installed again. If you omit it, only components that change state will be installed. Note that the "old" files (at previous location) will not be removed when your software is uninstalled.

ShelleyO

ShelleyO
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 May 2003 - 13:28

Hi,

Could you explain in detail how I should add a ControlEvent that does this?

Thanks

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 10:48

First of all you need to figure out a pushbutton that the user will always push.

I'm using ISWI 1.52, can't tell how much it changed in higher versions:
- Open your project, open the User Interface tree
- Go to the dialog that contains the pushbutton.
- Activate the Behavior node
- To the left you see a list of controls, highlight the right one.
- Make sure that the Events tab is active (bottom of window, other tabs are Subscriptions and Conditions)
- In the top-right you see the existing control events.
- Right click, select new
- Fill in resp. Reinstall, All, 1 (condition=always)